If you are interested in learning the inner workings of a Content Management System here’s an insightful tutorial by Matt Doyle from elated.com where he details how to build a complete CMS using PHP and MySQL in just a few hours.
It comes with all the code used in the available for download. You will need to have an Apache web server with PHP installed, as well as a MySQL database server. If you don’t have access to a web server to play with, both can be run locally on your computer by simply installing XAMPP, an Apache distribution containing MySQL, PHP, Perl and other Open Source modules. XAMPP is really very easy to install and to use – just download from the Apache Friend’s website, extract and start.
The tutorial is divided into the following steps:
- Create the database
- Create the articles database table
- Make a configuration file
- Build the Article class
- Write the front-end index.php script
- Write the back-end admin.php script
- Create the front-end templates
- Create the back-end templates
- Create the stylesheet and logo image
Head over to:
for the complete tutorial.